Practical information - COMUE Université Bourgogne-Franche-Comté

Practical information

Congratulations on being accepted at UBFC !

As a UBFC student you will never be left behind! Making your stay go as smoothly as possible is our vocation! Whether for administrative or campus life issues, you will find a dedicated team available for you.

1. Get your UBFC admission letter

From that step on, the International Relations office will provide you with all information you will need regarding your stay at UBFC. You will receive your letter of admission as soon as your selection is complete. Make sure to check your e-mails regularly.

2. Apply for a student visa

Be aware that a visa is mandatory for all students coming from a non-European country.

To be legally authorized to enter and remain on the European soil, international students must apply for a visa. We strongly recommend you to choose the “Visa long séjour valant titre de séjour (VLS-TS)” since this kind of visa is much more flexible than the “Visa long séjour temporaire (VLS-T)” which is not renewable. Please, do mention it during your appointment at the French embassy.

Two different procedures are to be followed according to your nationality and country of residence.

You come from a Campus France Country You come from a non-Campus France country
Countries Algeria, Argentina, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Benin, Bolivia, Brazil, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Chad, Chile, China, Colombia, Comoros, Congo, Côte d’Ivoire, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Djibouti, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, Gabon, Georgia, Ghana, Guinea, Haiti, India, Indonesia, Iran, Japan, Jordan, Kenya, Kuwait, Laos, Lebanon, Madagascar, Malaysia, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mexico, Morocco, Niger, Nigeria, Peru, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Singapore, South Africa, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, Togo, Tunisia, Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom, United Arab Emirates, United States, Vietnam All countries besides countries from the European union and Campus France countries
How to apply ? Click here Click here
Where to apply ? Click here Click here


3. Prepare your stay at UBFC

Here you can find guidance on the key things you need to do before leaving your country:

  • Check the program start date
  • Book your flight and/or train tickets
  • Book your accommodation
  • Arrange funding: you will need to make arrangements to pay your tuitions fees, student life contribution fees, monthly rent and deposit. Make sure to start and plan your finance.
  • Make sure to bring all documents requested for the academic enrollment (this list is non exhaustive, feel free to check with your department of study)
    • ID Photos
    • Copy of birth certificate translated in French or English, on which the name, date and place of birth of parents have to be indicated.
    • Copy of your passport
    • Copy of your student long stay visa
    • Copy of your admission letter
    • Original and copy of your last higher education diploma with an official translation in French or English
    • Copy of your scholarship certificate (if applicable)
  • Transport

Itineraries to come to Dijon, Besançon and Belfort.

  • Service Meet and Greet

It’s part of our core values to warmly welcome our international students. As such, all international students coming within our UBFC master’s programs will benefit from our appraised “Meet and Greet” service. A free of charge service organized by the UBFC international relations team in cooperation with our committed students who will offer you a friendly welcome upon arrival. As a matter of fact, not only will you be welcomed at the train station, but also you will be guided through the different strategic places you have to get acquainted with such as supermarkets, Crous residence halls, banks, post office, transport companies,   medical centers,  health insurance, registrar offices…

Before starting a vibrant life in Bourgogne Franche-Comté and fully enjoy a unique experience, you will have to go through some burdensome administrative steps.

Don’t panic, we will be there to help you!

  • Welcome event

Take advantage of our annual welcome event and meet all UBFC international students. Some students may be from your home country. Indeed, UBFC welcomes 260 international students from 62 countries around the world.

Prepare your administrative registration :

Tuition fees are to be paid through your eCandidat account.

Congratulations! You are now part of our UBFC students community!

The French healthcare system is one of the widest funded system by the French Government National Health insurance meaning a national system that ensures a national population against the costs of healthcare.

  • Non-European students need to register online

Social Security is free and compulsory for all students (French or international) and must be made upon your arrival in France, once your administrative registration at the university has been completed. It allows you to benefit from a reimbursement of all your medical expenses (around 60 to 70% of the total amount based on the social security basic rate).

    • Register at:
    • Upload all requested documents: school certificate, passport copy, visa copy, birth certificate, Offi validation, bank account slip ;
    • Once you receive your certificate, open an account on
    • Declare a physician during your first consultation so as to benefit from a 60%-70% reimbursement ;
  • European students need to bring their European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) covering the period of studies. If you do not have one, you need to register with the procedure as written above for non-European students.

French health Insurance will reimburse around 60-70% of your medical expenses. It is highly recommended to take a complementary health insurance so as to benefit from a complete reimbursement. SMERRA and LMDE are part of the students best known complementary insurances. More information on and

Examples for consultations costs :

General practitioner Specialist practitioner
Cost 25€ 28€
Social security reimbursement 16,50€ (70%) 18,60€ (70%)
Remaining cost (which can be covered with a complementary health care cover) 7,50€ 8,40€
Compulsory remaining cost 1€ 1€

All students are requested to subscribe to a Civil Liability Insurance. That insurance covers the risks of a damage that be caused by a student to a third person or animal, regardless whether the damages were caused through negligence or not. The French civil liability insurance certificate is mandatory for Enrollment. SMERRA or LMDE as well as any banks can provide you this this type of insurance. SMERRA is usually attending the welcome and enrollment days for your convenience.

SMERRA and LMDE in Bourgogne Franche-Comté :


SMERRA Besançon

LMDE Belfort

For non-European students, it is mandatory to open a French bank account upon arrival in France.

All major French banks have bank agencies in every city and are often located right on campuses:

  • BNP Paribas
  • Société Générale
  • Crédit Lyonnais
  • Crédit Agricole
  • Banque Populaire

Banks in France are usually closed on Mondays and open from Tuesday to Saturday between 9:00 am and 6:00 pm, only morning on Saturdays. Here are the documents required to open a bank account

  • Identity card or passport (mentioning your birth place (city)). If your passport is only mentioning your country of origin, you will need to provide a birth certificate as well.
  • Accommodation certificate
  • Letter of admission

Each university has its own medical centers available on campus. They offer free consultations but no prescription.

More info :

On average, French students spend nearly 650 euros per month. This figure may vary depending on your situation, but you will find below a provisional budget, given as an indication.

Tuition fees for UBFC’s English taught master degrees 243€/year
Single room accommodation at Crous in Dijon Between 161€ and 254€/month (residences Mansart and Montmuzard)
Single room accommodation at Crous in Besançon 257€/month (residence Colette)
Single room accommodation at Crous in Belfort 257€/month (residence Duvillard)
One room apartment at Crous in Montbéliard 370€/month (residence Portes du Jura)
Student and Campus Life contribution fee (CVEC) 100€
Visa validation (for visa holders only) 50€
Home insurance + civil liability insurance From 30€ to 40€/year
Mobile phone subscriptions 4,99€ to 24,99€/month
Public transportation Monthly travel pass from 30€ to 42€ (one way ticket 1,50€)
Bank account costs From 1€ to 10€/month
Food on campus (Crous restaurants) 3,30€ for a meal
Sport facilities Free
Shopping costs From 200€ to 300€/month


To those essential expenses can be added other expenses: registration fees for optional classes (i.e. language course), purchase of books and school equipment, medical expenses, maintenance, leisure, etc…