Congratulations on being accepted at UBFC! As a UBFC student you will never be left behind! Making your stay go as smoothly as possible is our vocation! Whether for administrative or campus life issues, you will find a dedicated team available for you.
> Before departure
From that step on, the International Relations office will provide you with all information you will need regarding your stay at UBFC. You will receive your letter of admission as soon as your selection is complete. Make sure to check your e-mails regularly.
Be aware that a visa is mandatory for all students coming from a non-European country.
To be legally authorized to enter and remain on the European soil, international students must apply for a visa. We strongly recommend you to choose the “Visa long séjour valant titre de séjour (VLS-TS)” since this kind of visa is much more flexible than the “Visa long séjour temporaire (VLS-T)” which is not renewable. Please, do mention it during your appointment at the French embassy.
Two different procedures are to be followed according to your nationality and country of residence.
|You come from a Campus France Country||You come from a non-Campus France country|
|Countries||Algeria, Argentina, Benin, Brazil, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Chad, Chile, China, Colombia, Comoros, Congo, Ivory Coast, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Djibouti, Egypt, Gabon, Guinea, Haiti, India, Indonesia, Iran , Japan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Madagascar, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mexico, Morocco, Niger, Nigeria, Peru, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Togo, Tunisia, Turkey, United States, Vietnam||All countries besides countries from the European union and Campus France countries|
|How to apply||Click here|
|Where to apply||Click here||Click here|
Here you can find guidance on the key things you need to do before leaving your country:
- Check the program start date
- Book your flight and/or train tickets
- Book your accommodation
- Arrange funding: you will need to make arrangements to pay your tuitions fees, student life contribution fees, monthly rent and deposit. Make sure to start and plan your finance.
- Make sure to bring all documents requested for the academic enrollment (this list is non exhaustive, feel free to check with your department of study)
- ID Photos
- Copy of birth certificate translated in French or English, on which the name, date and place of birth of parents have to be indicated.
- Copy of your passport
- Copy of your student long stay visa
- Copy of your admission letter
- Original and copy of your last higher education diploma with an official translation in French or English
- Copy of your scholarship certificate (if applicable)
> At your arrival in France
We are delighted to welcome you at UBFC. As a UBFC student, you are part of a whole community in Bourgogne Franche-Comté since UBFC is a collegiate university that gathers 7 Higher Education institutions: two public universities, three public engineer schools and one private business school. Altogether, UBFC gathers about 60,000 students across 13 sites and 54 research laboratories. –> Link to region map
At UBFC, you will enjoy a fantastic French experience. Spread over an outstanding and vibrant touristic region, UBFC offers an exceptional study and working environment.
Thanks to its waterways, countryside and the UNESCO world heritage climates, studying at UBFC will make you taste the worldwide coveted French way of life.
Its international cultural heritage whether in Dijon with the Palace of the Dukes and States of Burgundy, or in Besançon with the birthplace of Victor Hugo, UNESCO world heritage Vauban’s masterpiece fortress, or again in Belfort with the Lion monumental sculpture and the unmissable concerts event “Eurockéennes”, or eventually in Montbelliard with the Castel of the Wurttemberg Dukes will definitely make your stay unforgettable!
For a first touristic visit, take a glance here!
>> Prepare your administrative registration
Tuition fees are to be paid through your eCandidat account.
Congratulations! You are now part of our UBFC students community!
French healthcare system is one of the widest funded system by the French Government National Health insurance meaning a national system that ensures a national population against the costs of healthcare.
Registration to the French Health insurance is mandatory for French and non- European students.
- European students need to bring their European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) covering the period of studies. As a European student, you will need to register at the “Caisse Primaire d’Assurance Maladie” health Insurance organization close to your place of study.
The following documents will be requested from you:
- printed Form application for the right to health insurance (S1106) (PDF) ;
- school or university certificate (student card, certificate, etc.) ;
- your birth certificate ;
- copy of your passport or ID ;
- proof of residency (utility Bill, rental contract, etc.);
- particulars of your bank account (RIB – relevé d’identité bancaire). These can be found after you open a French bank account and in your French cheque book.
More info on https://www.ameli.fr/assure/english-pages
- Non-European students need to register online
Social Security is free and compulsory for all students (French or international) and must be made upon your arrival in France, once your administrative registration at the university has been completed. It allows you to benefit from a reimbursement of all your medical expenses (around 60 to 70% of the total amount based on the social security basic rate).
- Register at: https://etudiant-etranger.ameli.fr/#/
- Upload all requested documents: school certificate, passport copy, visa copy, birth certificate, Offi validation, bank account slip ;
- Once you receive your certificate, open an account on ameli.fr
- Declare a physician during your first consultation so as to benefit from a 60%-70% reimbursement ;
- In addition, you can take out a complementary health care cover, which enables you to get a refund on the additional part.
French health Insurance will reimburse around 60-70% of your medical expenses. It is highly recommended to take a complementary health insurance so as to benefit from a complete reimbursement. SMERRA and LMDE are part of the students best known complementary insurances. More information on https://smerra.fr/ and https://www.lmde.fr/
Examples for consultations costs :
|General practitioner||Specialist practitioner|
|Social security reimbursement||16,50€ (70%)||18,60€ (70%)|
|Remaining cost (which can be covered with a complementary health care cover)||7,50€||8,40€|
|Compulsory remaining cost||1€||1€|
All students are requested to subscribe to a Civil Liability Insurance. That insurance covers the risks of a damage that be caused by a student to a third person or animal, regardless whether the damages were caused through negligence or not. The French civil liability insurance certificate is mandatory for Enrollment. SMERRA or LMDE as well as any banks can provide you this this type of insurance. SMERRA is usually attending the welcome and enrollment days for your convenience.
SMERRA and LMDE in Bourgogne Franche-Comté :
For non-European students, it is mandatory to open a French bank account upon arrival in France.
All major French banks have bank agencies in every city and are often located right on campuses:
- BNP Paribas
- Société Générale
- Crédit Lyonnais
- Crédit Agricole
- Banque Populaire
Banks in France are usually closed on Mondays and open from Tuesday to Saturday between 9:00 am and 6:00 pm, only morning on Saturdays. Here are the documents required to open a bank account:
- Identity card or passport (mentioning your birth place (city)). If your passport is only mentioning your country of origin, you will need to provide a birth certificate as well.
- Accommodation certificate
- Letter of admission
Each university has its own medical centers available on campus. They offer free consultations but no prescription.
On average, French students spend nearly 650 euros per month. This figure may vary depending on your situation, but you will find below a provisional budget, given as an indication.
|Tuition fees for UBFC’s English taught master degrees||€243/year: Masters|
|Single room accommodation at CROUS in Dijon||€166/month: Résidences Mansart
€166/month: Résidences Montmuzard
|Single room accommodation at CROUS in Besançon||€257/month: Résidence Colette
|Single room accommodation at CROUS in Belfort and Montbelliard||€257/month: Résidence Duvillard|
|Student and Campus Life contribution fee (CVEC)||€92|
|Offi excise stamp (for visa holders only)||€60|
|Home Insurance + Civil liability insurance||Around €10/month|
|Mobile phone subscriptions||€4,99 to €24,99/month|
|Public transportation annual subscription||Monthly travel pass from €30 to €42 – one way ticket €1,5|
|Bank account costs||From €1 to €10/month|
|Food on campus (CROUS restaurants)||€3,25 for a meal|
|Shopping costs||€200 to €300 per month|
To those essential expenses can be added other expenses: tuition fees to your course, purchase of books and school equipment, clothing, medical expenses, maintenance, leisure, etc…
>> Being welcomed at UBFC
It’s part of our core values to warmly welcome our international students. As such, all international students coming within our UBFC master’s programs will benefit from our appraised “Meet and Greet” service. A free of charge service organized by the UBFC international relations team in cooperation with our committed students who will offer you a friendly welcome upon arrival. As a matter of fact, not only will you be welcomed at the train station, but also you will be guided through the different strategic places you have to get acquainted with such as supermarkets, Crous residence halls, banks, post office, transport companies, medical centers, health insurance, registrar offices…
Enjoy our yearly welcome event and meet all UBFC international students. Some students might be come from your country of origin. Indeed, UBFC welcomes around 200 international students coming from 62 countries worldwide! https://www.ubfc.fr/les-masters-ubfc-ont-du-succes-aupres-des-etudiants-internationaux/